View Single Post
Old 2005-07-13, 02:50 AM

Re: SBE fix gives different result with shntool & flac front-end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
How come noone has mentioned that simply going from flac > wav > flac (align on sector boundaries) isn't the proper way to fix SBEs? I distincly remember being schooled on that in a thread a while back. Doesn't that cause it to not shift the data from track to track but rather pad each track individually thereby adding silence between tracks? It should go flac > wav > fix SBEs > flac, no?

Or am I completely mad?
Taking the simple example of three files, there are two ways to convert them to flac. Firstly, by running flac.exe three times:

flac -8 file1.wav
flac -8 file2.wav
flac -8 file3.wav

or the alternative is to just run flac.exe once:

flac -8 file1.wav file2.wav file3.wav

The "--sector-align" option only makes sense when you are using the second method. Using the first method (running flac separately for each file) will do as you describe, and simply pad each track with silence. The second method will move partial sectors from the end of one track to the start of the following track - exactly the same as shntool does (by default).

I believe that early versions of FLAC Front-end used the earlier method, and hence the sector-align facility in FLAC Front-end was useless, but I believe that recent versions of FLAC Front-end do the right thing.

And to answer the previous question, yes, I wouldn't use the sector-align option in FLAC any more - at least until a bug-fixed release is made.

I still haven't heard anything back from my bug report, but it's only been a little more than 24 hours.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes