View Single Post
Old 2006-06-12, 04:40 PM
i have a fucking gun

Re: non-torrent related computer help

somehow i completely missed this post mamba. sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMamba
Have you changed anything in the last couple of days? Any new hardware, software, etc?

Paging file = swap file. Looks like your size is OK.

If you've got a spare hard drive and some spare time I'd try a fresh install on one of those and see what that gets you.

There's a Windows XP Tweak Guide that I've always tried to use when I reinstall XP: http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html Some of the tweaks in it are not really tweaks but it's a good read none the less. Lotta good information in there to implement...once we get your problem solved.

Another thing that occurred to me is that you could have a failing power supply. Had that happen to me once. Was getting all sorts of weird behavior like you're getting so I ordered a new one and replaced it. That was purely a shot in the dark...

"large memory sizes should be made of registered/buffered memory)". I did a quick search on google and it looks like this is no big deal.
http://www.computing.net/gaming/wwwb...orum/4136.html

Unfortunately, you're probably on a witch hunt. Since we've ruled out heat and probably RAM, try the hard drive swap and see what that gets you. When you're on the witch hunt, always do the cheapest/easiest fixes first so you don't waste money...too bad you're in Chicago because I have a ton of spare parts in my office that we could swap in and out of your machine to help narrow it down.
no new hardware, no new software. tried a restore point over a week before problems started and no luck too. guessing its hardware.
i will try a fresh XP install on a spare drive later tonight or tommorow.
i've always had bad luck with power supplys, have had at least 2 go bad within the last year or so. and they were antec too, no cheapy brand. i suppose after the hard drive swap i could try that. i dont have another working one laying around but they arent too expensive.
haha, let me overnight my machine to you and you can go at it i've got spare hard drives but thats about it.

grace-
thanks. i was using something similar to process explorer but this is much more informative. i'll take a look at that tweak guide and see what i can cancel. working on the HJT log now.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes