Thread: Wavpack
View Single Post
Old 2005-04-19, 12:44 AM
h_vargas

Re: Wavpack

wavpack rocks. period.

ffooky - no offense, but i hardly see a media player being able to play WavPack files (in .WV format) as a reason to not allow this file type. when i first got MKW years ago, it was a LONG time before i found out that WinAmp would play Shorten files... and surprise, surprise, i survived! it's almost as if it only takes a few minutes to convert the file to a playable format.

hard drive storage is cheap enough now to where storing WAV (or AIFF) files shouldn't be a problem. if it is, then one can get by with suffering with 320 kbps MP3s. (besides, if a person can't afford more HD storage, then i dare say the same person doesn't have a very good PC speaker setup to where they could easily tell the difference between an MP3 @ 320 and a lossless file.)

regardless, bottom line is: WavPack is compatibile on Window$, Linux, and OS X... that along with the facts that it compresses better (smaller files) than Shorten or FLAC, that it compresses faster than either (at least on my P4 machines), and that it's lossless compression, should be enough to be allowed as hosted files.

but if it isn't allowed for quite a while to come (or ever at all), i wouldn't be surprised. change isn't brought about easily...
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes