View Single Post
Old 2005-06-26, 10:37 PM
You are TOO

Re: download then seed? New here, please help...

Yes, you can download other files while seeding. BitTorrent "etiquette" varies, when considering how much to upload (seed) after getting the file for yourself. I think it's fair to give as much as you receive - that is, go for a 1:1 ratio. Some people like to give more. I like to shoot for at least 1.5:1 or 2:1 (upload:download). Of course, some people don't do even 1:1 or they stop as soon as they get the files and give nothing in return, except what they gave while downloading. Personally, that doesn't bother me, but it does bother some people.

Also, what some people do after uploading their chosen ratio, but before closing their seed, is to look to see if there are other seeders (and how many). If they are the only one (or one of only a few), they might consider keeping their seed going for a bit longer, to give the other leechers a chance to get the files too.

Do what feels good to you

As for it saying it'll seed for 4.5 hours, I'm not familiar with that. My client doesn't have such a feature. It may be adjustable in your client.

The longer you seed, the quicker (to an extent) other people can get their files too, and then we all can be happy and feel good about ourselves

EDIT: I guess we were posting at the same time
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes