View Single Post
Old 2007-04-26, 08:36 PM

Dropping Internet connection only when B/T'ing

I've been B/T'ing for a number of years now, via Comcast and an RCA Model DCM235 Cable Modem. At times I ran as many as 9 torrents at a time (rare), more typically 1 to 3 simultanously, with no problems and could leave them open for days on end padding my ratio.

About 2 years ago, I installed a Netgear 108Mbps Wireless Firewall Router WTG624 v2, did the port forwarding (6881-6889) got out from behind the firewall, running BitTorrent T-0.3.7 (Bit Tornado), and still had no problems for another year.

Without changing anything to my knowledge, around 1 year ago I started sporadically dropping my internet connection almost everytime I joined a torrent. However, I only dropped connection if I joined in a torrent. My speeds (particularly download) stayed quite fast, but my U/P speeds since then have remained pretty low. Occasionally, I can stay connected continously until the D/L completes, but this is the rare exception. I usually have to re-boot the cable modem and wireless router alot during the torrent, until the download is complete. Again, I only lose the connection when I join a torrent. I never lose connection if B/T is not runing.

Besides the hassle of having to reboot the moden and router all the time, this issue is also making it darn near impossible to keep my ratio from dropping. I can't just leave a torrent run and walk away and I let it seed all night or while I'm at work all day. In less than an hour, it'll drop the connection and just sit idle until I return to reboot everything.

Any one have any thoughts on what may be causing this connection drop, or what I can do to stop it?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes