View Single Post
Old 2007-03-27, 10:11 PM

Re: Rack System vs. cpu software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsdeep
so, any other insights, or am I merely beating the dead mule?

beating dead horses is kinda the specialty around here .

if the original question is rack system versus PC software then the answer is probably software because of the ability to configure parameters until you find the right combination to get the results you want. in the manipulation of sound the measurements and the ears are to work hand in hand and I think that you can get more immediate feedback out of software.

on mechanical issues (azimuth, speed, quality of linkage between playback device and AD convertor) then obviously these things can best be done pre-capture and in the analog domain.

with some sweet studio quality gear there may be some EQ/signal processing tasks best left to the outboard rack gear. but, today there are so many great audio packages available that you should be able to do anything (aside from the afore mentioned mechanical corrections) in software. in the end it is probably cheaper and better than buying a bunch of good quality/studio grade outboard gear.

now i am going to beat a dead horse.........it is your' source material. share it raw or cooked-----just share it. just because some here prefer their vegetables raw doesn't mean they won't eat them cooked. just don't overcook them. we are not old enough for nursing home food.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes