View Single Post
Old 2006-06-04, 01:20 AM

cda format question

Just trying to get a basic understanding of cda files here. I've been playing music off my HD for a while (flac, shn) and have just started to burn CD's with burrrn.exe. Everything seems to work fine and when I view the CD files on PC in Windows Explorer they are shown in cda format (commercial music CD's show this too as I'm sure everyone who knows a litlle bit knows). However, these cda files are shown to be of a very small size on the CD (1-2KB each). My understanding is that I'm writing up to like 700MB per full disk of what was originally flac and shn data expanded to wav but creating the CD only takes a few minutes (All this data is being written, isn't it? Please ease my mind here). I'm writing at 16X speed. There has to be a lot more data on the CD that these cda files either refer to or are related to. Why doesn't the bulk of this data show up when the CD contents are viewed on the PC? Also when burning flac and shn to CD and ending up with cda is there any loss or compression that I need to be aware of (my ears say no but that's a tough call unless the difference is dramatic)? Thanks appreciate any help in understanding this. This is a great site.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes