View Single Post
Old 2008-08-10, 10:39 AM
TTD Staff

Re: Error when encoding wav. to flac. with Traders' Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by migrantwing View Post
... I looked at the original files and checked the SBE's and it seems that the problems lie there ...
SBEs do not have any influence on the encoding process because the term SBE only tells that there will be a micro-gap if you use the wav data to burn an audio CD.

Quote:
... What do you suggest. Shift backwards, forwards or round?
It doesn't matter in almost all cases, backward is the shntool default.

Quote:
Here you go, Robert ...
Thanks very much for providing the sample file! If you use the orginal flac.exe the encoder will work up to 99% before quitting with this error message:

367-08-poisongirl.wav: 99% complete, ratio=0,518367-08-poisongirl.wav: ERROR: got partial sample

It means that the WAV data is truncated and not even at a sample boundary (e.g. the subchunk's length is not a multiple of 4 (16-bit stereo data)).

It's hard to tell how this happened. One reason may be that the file has been truncated from a cutoff during FTP. Another one may be that in the file's lineage there is a faulty compression to shn format (Shorten doesn't do much error checking). Other possible reasons I listed in my previous post.

There is a workaround that skips the partial sample (though I cannot tell you whether data is already lost / you'll loose data, or whether the partial sample is doing nothing at the end of the file so it can be skipped): Open the wav file in an audio editor and save it without changing it. This will take off the extra bytes and will allow the file to be converted to flac format.

Robert
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes