View Single Post
Old 2006-01-29, 03:44 PM

Big music archiving project, need help please

Sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere. I just started archiving my audio CDR collection using the EAC>flac method. I have about 800 CDRs I would like to archive. I wish I knew 8 years ago what I know now. What I have is about 700 CDRs with no lineage information and various, often bad media. I don’t intend on ever trading any of the dirty lineage CDRs but I love them all and would like to preserve them.

My goals are as follows:
Make perfect copies of all disks
Compress them all to a loseless codec
Burn DVD archives

I am about 5% of the way through this project and it is going to be extremely time consuming. I would like to do it right. My current method is DRIVE[BENQ DVD DD DW1620]>EAC v0.95 beta 3>FLAC 1.7.1[8] All software settings are configured to the specifications of links off of this forum.

I have concerns about what kind of media to use for the archiving. I have read the http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm page and it appears that TDK and Maxell are good blanks. I am also looking for opinions on Optical drive preferences and lossless codecs. I have limited to no budget for fancy hardware but it seems that you can get Plextor drives for $50 anymore.

Has anyone done this type of project? Your input will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes