View Single Post
Old 2006-12-12, 11:31 AM

Re: Is it possible to put 24 Bit PCM audio on a DVD video?

the thing with 24bit is that most "normal" ppl have computers with soundcards that can only play maximum 16bit anyways and in the event that 24bit is encountered it is crudely changed to 16 by truncating, while the proper method which gives best sound is dithering it down. I'm not sure how many standalone players support 24bit playback to be honest, especially considering that many traders are using very cheap DVD players these days because they have maximum compatability with home-burned discs.

you could burn a short test disc with 24bit audio and try it on several standalone dvd players to see if any glitches occur, and take a tap from the digital out and check it with bitviewer to see if the player is spitting out 24 or 16bit audio. Only thing is, this doesn't test the analog outputs (!)... so, first thing is to determine that your player (also try some different makes/models) is positively capable of spitting 24bit out, then to test the analog outs (which could well be different), you would need to create your own truncated 16bit from the 24bit and find a fade where you can hear it sputtering (from not being dithered properly) then listen carefully for those artifacts. It can be quite subtle, but this is the only way I can think of right now to test for this.

if you find anything out, please share the info as it seems nobody really knows the answer at this time... (or else, somebody else please post and set things straight for me).

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes