View Single Post
Old 2020-06-12, 02:20 AM

Re: The future of TTD Donations

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmonk View Post
How about selling TTD shirts?
Hey kingrue, you won't believe this.

I may have sold my shrink-wrap machine but I just refurbished two large-format printers (one for photos, and one for fabrics, like T-shirts) which were being tossed by a shop only because there are no printer drivers for it on their new OS. I saw it on the curb and went in and asked about it and left with the two printers, extra inks, 5K worth of large-format photo paper, but no T-shirts.

The printers work at my house -- I just used a 32-bit to 64-bit printer driver bridge (which I downloaded) and the old driver runs (with a few bugs still). I have yet to figure out how cost-effective it would be making my own shirts vs. ordering a stack of the same shirts from a shop. I was thinking to use the machine for low-volume and even one-off T-shirt printing. For large-runs a high-volume shop like the one that dumped these machines is very little effort and likely cheaper.

If someone gives me the design I am happy to cost it. Based on that if there's interest, one could take pre-orders, like half up front, which at least covers the costs if people then change their minds, disappear, or whatever.

RE; PAYPAL
PyPal is nothing like a Bank -- they are regulated by rules they make up and change at will -- and are more a money transfer service. Unlike a cheque, PayPal takes your money and holds it (gathering interest) until the other party retrieves it. If the other party (receiver) never retrieves it, the sender is not notified and PayPal is happy to keep the money. I chased PayPal for over 2 years when a $100 donation never arrived. PayPal tried to tell me the transaction never took place, but I have a CC statement that shows the transaction. Basically though, due to nobody knowing in which jurisdiction the transaction took place, there's no recourse ad PayPal kept the money. I wonder how many other such transactions get ghosted without people at either end ever knowing...

RE: PayPay and Torrent Sites -- This is a result of RIAA and law-enforcement lobby group pressure -- charity organizations are a major source of funding for terrorist and criminal organizations and still is, and PayPal channels tons of money everywhere, so some of it was criminal activity, but that is also true of the major banks, stock exchanges and just about every facet of life these days. The RIAA's attitude/position is that all torrent sites are pirate sites. Period.

Last edited by plaz; 2020-06-12 at 02:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes