View Single Post
Old 2007-03-22, 04:38 PM

Re: firewalled and ports blocked...why so many? challenge U 2 open them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
From the torrent stats page:

Total number of Peers (non-firewalled / firewalled): 10,231 / 3,897

So, a little over 1/3 of the peers are firewalled. That really isn't that bad. I think when we started the site, we were closer to 1/2 . Then, one of the Mods recommended I add a FIREWALLED note underneath the user's name in the upper right corner if they are firewalled. Several of those users have come posted in Technobabble for help to get rid of that sign. Don't forget that people who are torrenting from work (where they can get awesome speeds) or from a university, don't have any control over their firewall and thus are stuck with it.

I post about people forwarding their ports on the several sites that I use. The opening of your ports helps everyone and leads to more sharing.

I agree with U2lynne that some people do not have control over it. However, fair too many those who are firewalled do. The people who are at a university probably don't because that is how the networks are set up. I am even suprised their are universities allowing students to use torrent clients with all the suing and fining going on with students downloading music.

However, those doing it from work can contact their IT departments or configure their computer as such that the ports will open on their computer. However, if IT will not will not help, probably should not be doing at work in the first place If that is the case, better to not download from work and slow down everyone else's ratio. It would be better to do it from home or do the old standby of B&P or trading. I would be more then happy to help those who are firewalled on getting shows. I can download them and you can send me discs and I will burn them for you.

I am willing to do anything to get faster speeds and share more music. Nothing gets me more when I download a full show, turn into a seeder, and 50% or more of the leechers of the show are behind a firewall. I try and give back to the community, but cannot do so fully. So, unless you are at school....OPEN THOSE PORTS!!!!!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes