View Single Post
Old 2005-02-01, 07:17 AM
Renegade Geek

Re: MD5 Check Fails After Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_vargas
ummm, call me crazy, but every time i've ever used Nero to burn a "DVD-Video" disc, it will NOT allow the MD5 to be burned onto the disc. an error message immediately pops up telling me that it isn't a standard DVD file (or some such message), i click "OK" and the file (MD5 checksum) is NOT burned onto the DVD-video disc.

very strange problem, seeing as i don't think Nero will allow an MD5 to be burned to a DVD-video disc.

p.s. i sort of doubt that Nero is re-authoring or changing any header information, assuming the files (VOBs etc.) were compliant with DVD specs. if they aren't compliant, then it may very well be re-encoding/authoring the video.
You're right, it will not allow you to burn an md5 file. I keep these in an archive on my hard drive. Like I said, Nero's DVD-Video burner does extra checks to make sure all standards are met, which is why it will sometimes edit the authored info files (not the VOBs themselves). One case of this is where people edit the header to say NTSC even when the video itself is in PAL. This will "trick" some DVD players into playing the video even though they technically do not play PAL. Nero will notice that the header information is incorrect and instead replace it with a header that says NTSC....thus ruining the md5 check for those files.

Nero WILL re-encode video files that are out of standard, but that is not the case here. That takes quite some time, and would be obvious to the user. It will, however, alter some of the information stored in the info files (aka reauthoring) and will do so without shooting up a warning in any way to the user that this has happened. Again, we are not talking about the main .VOB files here, as those passed md5 fine and Nero did not alter those in any way.

I would say burn as a data disc and make sure that your standalone can play the discs that way. Nero was absolutely "correcting" something when burning as a DVD-Video, but this may or may not be something that causes your specific player to freak out. My older Sony is VERY finicky, and I can't burn with extra files (md5s) or altered headers at all, lest it won't play the discs. I always use Nero and allow it to set everything correctly for me, accepting that the info files will no longer pass the md5.

SeekOnce, please let us know what brand your DVD player is, and whether the disc is playable and passes md5.....just for my own curiosity .
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes