View Single Post
Old 2008-04-23, 03:11 PM

Re: Absolute F*cking newbie w/NO CLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken Boy View Post
For what it's worth, I found (in my case) that the single most important thing I did was to set up my IP address as static rather than dynamic; they can walk you through that at the portforward.com website. Everything else seemed to fall right into place after that. It could be different depending on your router, ISP, etc... My .02.
Or, just make sure your PC used for down/uploading of torrents is the first one that gets a DHCP assigned IP address from your router, that way it should never change. for example, if your router is 192.168.0.1, the first device you add to this network should get 192.168.0.2. This assumes your router starts assigning DHCP at 192.168.0.2 and goes up from there, so next PC / laptop you add to the network will get 192.168.0.3, and so on.

When you follow the instructions from portforward.com setup your "port forwarding" (often this is under the Advanced section of your router's configuration screens) and apply it to the TCP (don't forget adding a rule for UDP port, too!) that you chose when you setup Azureus or uTorrent for the IP of 192.168.0.2 (or whatever is the IP address of the machine for which you are setting up port forwarding). I choose an easy to remember number, something like port 52222 so that it would fall in the suggested range mentioned above in this thread.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes