View Single Post
Old 2010-08-19, 10:57 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer

Smile Re: Question about changing text files in a torrent

OK, let me try and be clear!

I would make a new text file, updated and all that, saved with a name that says it's the new file or updated file or whatever. Leave the old one there too...

I'm not sure if making ffp checksums is all that relevant for text files, but I may be wrong. I only make ffp's for FLAC files. Maybe you'd like to make updated flac fingerprint files and save them as updated or new as well.

If you or anyone with this new fileset still wished to seed the original torrent at its original location (without the updated text, etc.) as long as the folder still has all the original files it would seed to 100%, ignoring the new files! This is what I meant by backwards compatibility - it will all work on the original location as long as all the original files are there.

The new set would only be passed along to the new location (here, right?) - the old leechers would not get the new files from the old torrent, but the fresh torrent will pass along your modifications.

This way, you don't have to abandon your responsibility of seeding the original files, and still pass along (to the new torrent) the new files... As soon as you modify and save the old text file it would not seed at its old location anymore, so that's why I say don't alter it, but make a new one that would run alongside it with a name that says its new.

I know sometimes I write wordy text files, but I'd hate that my masters get passed along without my personal touch. Sometimes they get re-posted with my info wiped, and that's a drag. If someone feels the need to change what I wrote, I'd wish they left my words alone, and still included them even if they're wrong, while making a new file that's edited. Kind of a bit of respect for the original sharer, too, you know?

Hope that helps - just my opinion, not the gospel truth, but I think it makes the most sense...