View Single Post
Old 2007-03-14, 05:51 AM
pretty when I'm drunk

Location: between my owners legs, and someone else's too, USA
Rack System vs. cpu software

I've always pumped my analog masters through a dual 31 band, and a few other toys before recording directly to SF (.wav files vs. flac), then burning to disc.

that said, what are the taping community's feelings about this method, vs. using cpu software exclusively after recording a raw tape to the harddrive?

I'm totally satisfied with the results, and do it for myself, but there seems to be an, I don't wanna say obsession, but a sticklers attitude regarding "lineage"...my lineage is always the same, but it's basically Sonics to a Sony D-6, then play that through a $1000 Denon > toys > SF > (can't remember the name of the burning program, maybe CDWin, Golden Hawk Technologies) > cd

I use NO software other than SF for a db boost and fade ins/outs, and the burning software to put to cd...or, all of my sound "altering" is external before harddrive vs. internal.

I have the 3-way lo-cut but never wrote down what position it was in (out of three) before recording...does this make me a bad person.

I'd LOVE to throw up 10 of my masters, 9 analog and 1 digital (I only taped with a DAT once in my life), just to see who out there REALLY knows how to tell the difference between the 2...the artists would include:

-Natalie Merchant
-Metallica
-Steve Earle
-AC/DC
-Page/Plant
-Tesla
-Big Head Todd
-Black Sabbath
-Ani DiFranco

and one artist yet to be determined...only ONE is from a "DAT master", the rest are all analog masters, ALL pumped through the same system, ALL with the same lineage (other than potentially different brands of master tapes, virtually all are XL-IIS's)

anyhow, maybe no one cares, or maybe I should just go fuck myself, but figured I'd ask.

with love and aching loins,

-the Alaskan Assassin
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes