View Single Post
Old 2006-09-12, 06:58 PM
TTD Staff

Re: New to imac. Looking for a little advice

software wise, Audacity is great for stereo 2track [which is probably all you'll need for most live show transfering]...for recording your own music, you'll want a multi-track program--ProTools should cover everything you'd be doing, and will have better filters than Audacity [i.e. EQs, compressors, etc]...i began using Ableton Live for making beats, but am constantly going to it for alot of other tasks now

hardware wise, you'll want to run thru something a bit better than the line-in jack, but you really don't need a Digi002 to make a decent recording...thats where the MBox comes in, or you can buy another A/D device [USB or Firewire]...for instance, i've used my Edirol UA-5 to transfer cassettes & vinyl, now i use a PMD671...i've also used the UA-5 in multi-track situations as the A/D converter between my mixer & the computer...you can cover yer bases for a home recording set-up for pretty cheap these days

from what you've said, i'd probly go with the Mbox2 Factory bundle...it'd be hard to find both the hardware & the software you need for anywhere close to the price...plus the bundle includes the mooger delay