But to add:

Get Avast, it's free.
Get Ad-Aware, it's free.
Get Spybot S&D, it's free
Get Spyware Blaster, it's free
Get Zone Alarm Firewall, it's free
Get NOD 32, free for 30 days

Download what you can, and save them.

Remember to consistently update Ad-Aware, Spybot S & D (if you get checksum error, that's just their server being bitchy, try back later), and Spyware Blaster. These will clean out the bastard adware/malware, and both Spybot & Spyware Blaster will prevent most from coming in.

Install Zone Alarm. Windows firewall is from what I hear, crap. Though I guess it can't hurt to run them both. Also try a router. Heard those work well.

Disconnect from the net, get rid of Norton and install both Avast & NOD 32. They will work together, something Norton doesn't really do with anything.

After you reboot and reconnect (get use to it), update both Avast & NOD 32 immediately. Disconnect again AND turn off system restore - some viruses and trojans will sit in there even after they have been scanned and cleaned out of the system. Let one scan, then the other. This is going to take some time, but both work very well and may find things the other didn't. Certainly they will find things Norton can't do anything about.