View Single Post
Old 2005-06-20, 10:52 PM
You are TOO

Re: Firewalled- tried everything

I'm not sure if all Linksys routers are the same as far as accessing the settings, but open a browser and go to: http://192.168.1.1/ and then enter your name/password. If you haven't set one yet, enter admin/admin and you should get the settings page. If you don't, let me know what model router you have.

First thing, if you haven't already, is to change the default name/password to something else. Don't worry too much about forgetting the login because you can always reset the router to defaults again, but you don't want to do that if it's not necessary. On the older routers, the name was actually irrelevant. I'm not sure if it is now.

After that, go to the Forwarding page (it may be under the Advanced tab) and then enter the info. For port, use what ever port is set in yout BT client - usually 6881 unless you've changed it. Check the TCP protocol box. Go to your Start menu and look for the shortcut to "command prompt" and click it. In the window, enter "ipconfig" without quotes. Note your IP address. Now go to the router's settings and enter your IP there and check the "enable" box. That should be it.

There is a simpler and slightly more secure way of doing it using UPnP, but I haven't had the time to learn more about it, so I don't like to give instructions for it when helping out until I know more.

You didn't say if you're using a firewall program or not. If so, the same port/protocol will have to be opened in there also, but since your post seems to indicate everything was fine until you installed the router, it's probably safe to assume you don't need to worry about that.

That should be it. Post back if you have problems.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes