View Single Post
Old 2005-06-26, 05:00 PM
Junkyard Angel

Question White Stripes 2002-04-08 DAT AUD ~ question

I just received the White Stripes 2002-04-08 show at the Bowery Ballroom in a B+P as data. This is the lineage of the SHN files on that data CDR:

Audience > Danish Pro Audio mics > Sony TCD-D100 > DAT(M) > CDR(x) > EAC(secure/read offset +41, write offset +18 corrected) > WAV > mkwACT 0.96 > SHN

When I listened to the SHNs, I found that they had 2-second TAO gaps. I decoded to WAV and I removed the gaps in CDWave (without creating any SBEs ).

I've listened intently to the show all the way through a several times since this morning. Other than Jack White's very hoarse voice, it sounds very good. No swishy cymbals or jangle jangle of mp3-sourced audio. I opened up a whole of bunch of the WAVs in Audacity to view the FA and SA. The frequency analysis looked to fine to me, but the spectral made me feel like I definitely needed to seek you guys' expert opinion. So here are some screenshots for you to view. Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Track 5 = Little Bird:

microphone feeds back here (those two dark patches are high-pitched squeals)

Track 16 = Expecting/The Object of My Affection:

guitar feedback

Despite appearances, this track does not sound thin. Near the end of the track, where Jack sings "The Object of My Affection" a cappella, is echoey as his voice reverberates in the Ballroom.

Track 25 = Jimmy the Exploder:

What could have made the spectral analysis of these three tracks look like this? The taper set the levels too low during recording? Something to do with the battery level perhaps? I think this show is lossless, but obviously I want to be 100% sure. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes