View Single Post
Old 2007-03-09, 08:58 PM

Re: converting cassette to cdr

the only thing i would offer is that you should be careful that you do not discard the original source tape. the quality of your soundcard (if it is the one that came with your computer) is probably not that great. in most cases, they are shipped with whatever was going for the cheapest money when your computer was manufactured. if you are not ready to invest in a new soundcard you are still doing the source tape a favor by getting yourself a digital copy for playing and saving the integrity of the master until a proper transfer can be made.

you don't necessarily need a 500 dollar sound card, but I would hold onto the mastet tapes so that in the future, if it is something rare and valuable to you, a proper transfer can be made.

having said that, if it is stuff of a non-hifi nature (speach, barney and friends soundtracks, etc...) the stock soundcard will probably be adequate.

you will want to set your levels to the loudest segment of the tape. digital audio is unforgiving when the circuit is overdriven. that smooth analog tape compression that occurs when there is some slight overdrive is not gonna happen. digital clipping is the awfulest sound known to man

goto the loudest segment of the tape and set the record level so that the meters stop just a few decibels short of clipping. most meters in digital recording software have green, yellow and red colors. a little tickling of the yellow section is usually ok. some recomend not to even go that hot--but my transfers have sounded a little fuller in that range.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes