View Single Post
Old 2005-01-14, 07:20 AM
Renegade Geek

Re: Recommend (Music) Collection Database Programs

Katz,
I've been using something call Music Collector for many years now, and it does ALMOST everything I want it to. After quite a bit of massaging, the database has been configured to handle everything, including store-bought and lossless bootlegs. In the "format" field, I put FLAC, CD, 33LP, etc, and fill in the extra data from there.

It also has the ability to write custom XML output templates so that you can create lists from the information inside the database. My tradelist, at www.audiophilia.net, will show you a quick example of what I was able to do with a tradelist export, but you could do any number of different things were you inclined enough to struggle through the XML (these templates took me many hours to get right; it's not exactly easy).

I've plugged this software to many people here and on TTD before, and many of them have given it a try and given up. It's easy to do simple catalogging, but when you try to do very fine nit-picking modifications and work with the output templates like I've done, it can become somewhat time consuming. My only complaint is that they have a piss-poor selection of opetions for importing albums into the software, and the best you can do is to grab data from a cdplayer.ini file. This means that for each lossless album, there is going to be quite a bit of manual inputting of data.

Anyway, check out the demo at www.collectorz.com. The full price is around $30 (or it was when I bought it) and is well-worth the money. I can help you get started if you'd like, showing you some of my templates and whatnot.

I am sure that given a year or so of time, I could write a much better program than this. But for what's out there right now, this is as good as I've found.

I've plugged this software before here and on STG, and most of the people who tried it
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes