View Single Post
Old 2005-08-07, 08:42 PM
I love them redheads!

Re: Operating System Cannot be Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcrazy2005
So what should I do here? If I just reformat the whole drive, will that repair it? What about if I just have it repair the sector? I have all my data backed up, but I guess that it might erase important program info or something, right? Thanks for the help everyone.

-Phil
Thing is, Phil, you could fix the sector or reformat the drive and there's really no telling just how long it will be OK.

Similar things were happening to me a few weeks ago - weird errors on start up, etc. Finally, one day when I went to boot up it said I had bad errors. Went on to fix them and it fixed them for a couple of days max.

After that I got the same shit again, fixed DIFFERENT sectors this time, got XP up and running. From there I went to newegg.com, ordered a new hard drive, and got everything I needed off of that drive and onto my second drive. I actually had to burn 2 data DVD's because I didn't have enough room on the second drive. Each burn took me two hours!

So...is it worth trying to fix or reformat? Sure...just don't fool yourself into thinking that it's the end all to your problems. Shit, for $150 you can get yourself a brand spanking new 300 GB Western Digital drive and be done with the headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes