View Single Post
Old 2007-12-31, 12:29 PM
TTD Staff

Re: Why are lossy audio DVD's acceptable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
i agree however MOST people can tell the difference between ok video and good video
BUT
MOST people can NOT tell the difference between ok audio and good audio
that i can't argue with...but then again, how many unbearably awful AUD DVDs get d/led these days by literally hundreds of people who are completely satisfied w/ the seizure-inducing picture, clipped-to-hell incam audio, AND overly compressed sound/vid because it was authored using a crappy encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummkopf View Post
because some people do not care for high end authoring. I for example care about the footage and its quality not someone's authoring skills. it's really as simple as that
werd, i with ya on that one...personally i don't really care about the "authoring" that much, aside from bitrates...case in point, my DVDs are always simple...there's no way i'm spending a day or two on a menu unless i'm getting paid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummkopf View Post
I prefer a XP/SP standalone transfer over a variable bitrate PC authored disc any time. I haven't yet seen a pc authored dvd that was able to match the quality of a high bitrate SA transfer done with decent hardware.
if that's the case, i wonder why all of the professional editing houses don't use SA's for transferring?

but i don't doubt that a higher-end SA could do a better job than some hundred dollar windoze program...as with most things in life, ya get what ya pay for

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
I can't tell the difference side by side (my beta hifi tape/dvd copy). Of the over 100 dvds I've seeded there has never been a single complaint. I will go to bestbuy and circuit city to find a standalone that records LPCM. If I can't should I seal the Graceful Duck Archive for good?
lately around here, whenever Staff or one of the numerous audio/videophile regulars gives their opinion on a technical matter, it seems that others take it as "set in stone" & "everyone has to conform to our thinking"...but guess what, ya don't! but please, don't be surprised if we come across as "philes" or set the standards high here at TTD, as we've always believed in being the site-with-the-highest-standards

this applies to everyone--you can transfer/author however you want, using whatever audio codec or video compression rate you want...hell, you can just sit on the tapes and never share em...its really up to you! for 99.8% of the users here, recording video or audio is just a hobby...don't take it too seriously