View Single Post
Old 2007-06-01, 05:37 AM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP

Re: What are Site Admins allowed to do with donations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritinaphoto
I think Lynne needs to find that mathematical proof for you. Let's say everyone wants a ratio of at least 1.0, but there's several people with share ratios significantly greater than 1.0. The only way everyone could get a 1.0 (or very close) would be if the people with higher ratios would leech a bit to drop their ratios, which I don't see happening (people with "good" share ratios tend to be very defensive of their ratios and don't like to see them drop).

I suppose I must be one of the rare people with a "good ratio" who is actually concerned for those lesser equipped sharers.
that's not true...the proportion of seeders to leechers is small (there are a lot more leechers than seeders).
If everyone was sharing, there would be no opportunity for others to have very high ratios (becuase everyone would be sharing bandwidth, there would be no leechers to "fuel" their high ratios). People have have ratios either because they are seeders, or because there aren't enough people sharing. If everyone was sharing after they download, then their would be no need for you to seed beyond 1.0 (since that bandwidth would be coming from your peers who are also sharing). I hope that makes sense. In other words, you can't share to people that don't need it (since they are getting their bandwith from others), so you will never go beyone 1.0. That example is assuming negligable amount of seeders as compared to leechers, and everyone with approximately equal ul speeds (which is for the most part true).

Here's your mathematical proof!

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi

Last edited by Chachi420; 2007-06-01 at 05:45 AM.