View Single Post
Old 2005-03-09, 07:26 AM
Renegade Geek

Re: Best way to store all these downloads?

I always backup the original lossless files to DVD-R discs. Poke through the FAQ a bit, and you'll see that burning to audio CD and then extracting again causes potential audio problems. In order to make sure I can always reseed or trade the files, I keep them in their original form.

I put together about 5-10 sets and then create par2 files with around 20% redundancy so that the entire block takes up exactly 1 DVD. This way if one or more of the files ever become corrupt on the original disc, I can rebuild the set from the rest of the files....this makes sure nothing ever degrades or gets lost at time goes on and the media wears a bit. The DVDs get put in slim 3CD cases to make sure they stay dust and scratch free. Each DVD is given a number, which is then recorded in my database, so that I can always find a show and see what disc it's on.

I find that this method is very effective and relatively cheap. At $1 per case and $0.50 for good DVD media, I can store about 20-30 shows for $2.50 (one filled 3-disc case of DVDs).

I also play the FLAC files on my Rio Karma for traveling in the car or taking to work, so I don't ever have to burn audio CDRs.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes