View Single Post
Old 2009-01-25, 01:51 PM

Re: Question about Audacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post
CD standard is 16-bit. I would suggest most folks here would be happiest with 16-bit files, but there is the facility for 24-bit, and some folks like that.

You could store them yourself as 24-bit or 32-bit, but you'd need to re-convert back to 24-bit or 16-bit for sharing here, and 16-bit for CD; so depending on your own requirements, it may be more straightforward to stick to 16-bit all the way.

32-bit and 24-bit will eat more space on your drive(s) as well....

What are the masters? Analogue tape? 16-bit DAT? Minidisc? Other format?
Thanks. They are Analogue (maxell xlII;s) for the most part. I heard that 32 bit was the best quality for it which is why I asked. I did my first transfer yesterday at 16 bit with +9 DB gain via audacity. Came out real good imo but I want to get it right also. I'm not to sure about using the gain DB feature so anything you can add regarding that is appreciated. The reason I tried it yesterday was the VU meters reading off the masters were like in the middle of the guage. Thanks again. So for sharing purposes and CD stick with 16 bit. Cool. Than I assume 32 BIT should only be used for highend home equipment. Is this a correct assumption ?
Remote Power: CA-9100 pre-amp, CA-UBB battery box
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d
Cable/s: custom 6" GAKables Mini Starquad
Batteries: Maha 9.6V Imedion, Maha Powerex 2700 mAh
Chargers: Maha MH-C9000, MAHA MH-C490F
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes