View Single Post
Old 2019-02-13, 10:10 AM
TTD Staff

Re: TLH: Unicode/UTF-8 support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fart_napkin View Post
Hey guys, longtime lurker, first time poster. Quick question...
I absolutely love Trader's Little Helper; I use it all the time! Here's my dilemma... Recently, I've been naming the songs of my shows using unicode fullwidth characters as opposed to using an underscore or a caret, etc. to signify a segue, inverted version, etc.
Exempli gratia:
Instead of,
2-01 I_ Little Betty Boop (inv)-_ or
2-01 I_ Little Betty Boop (inv)^
I've been naming them like so,
2-01 I:Little Betty Boop (><) –>

However, unfortunately TLH will not recognize these files. It will just say it "does not exist" or "No files left to be processed", "File cannot be found in directory", etc.
Why does this happen? I'm guessing this means TLH does not have unicode/utf-8 support? Does it read files via ANSI? Is there a way to force TLH to read unicode characters or an extension I could download? I mainly trying to create checksums, specifically st5. I know it's at least possible to create MD5, SFV, CRC-32, SHA-256, and BLAKE2 checksums using unicode characters because I've created them with TurboSFV.
If TLH could read the files, I assume I could just save it as a text file > open in notepad > save as UTF-8 or unicode.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAVeRY View Post
I'd be glad to work on Unicode support in TLH if source was available.
TLH consists mainly of two parts: 1) the Graphical User Interface (the window you work with when using TLH (menus, file lists, buttons, ...)) and 2) a couple of third-party command-line apps ("console applications"; apps without GUI) that TLH calls in the background to execute the task specified (encoding files, for example).

The GUI is not able to handle Unicode because long time ago, when the main parts of TLH were written, there was no need for Unicode support. Though this would be a lot of work I could update the GUI to support Unicode. But: The real pain in the ass are the third-party command-line apps. They do not support Unicode because they were written to work in the non-Unicode Windows console. And: not all used comand-line apps are Open Source.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes