View Single Post
Old 2005-12-07, 04:39 PM
Columbia, SC

Re: External drive - good choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qstick333
Is there a down side to pnly having the one dvd drive? I was thinking that I could copy the disc while it was "playing" in the play only straight to disc? I am completely new to this, so I'm not too sure how dvd burning works.
Would it be better to replace the dvd play only or the current cdrw drive?

With either of those - what are the chances that the connections between the old drive and the new one will be the same and not need extra wires??? I have a pretty big fear of screwing the computer up.

Zach
Zach:

I never want to underestimate anyone, but you cannot screw up. It is literally replacing one box with another box. One box plays/burns CDs. The new box plays/burns DVDs.

There are no wires. There is just a plug, and it's universal. You just unplug the old drive and plug in the new. Turn two set screws to secure it in place and turn the PC back on. It is very, very easy to do, or undo. You are not going to damage your PC.

I recommend removing the CD burner instead of the DVD player as the DVD player probably also plays CDs, and the DVD burner you are installing will also burn CDs. Generally, DVD drives play/burn CDs. CD drives don't play/burn DVDs. Keep both DVD drives. Ditch the CD only drive.

Rob
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes