View Single Post
Old 2005-01-10, 03:16 PM
Renegade Geek

Re: DVD Checksum?

No, you're not wrong. I have a very finicky Sony DVD player that will NOT playback any discs that have extra files burned ANYWHERE on it, either inside the Video_TS folder or outside of it.

The point of creating a checksum is that people, further on down the road, can take their disc, create an md5 checksum, and compare it to the one posted on TTD to ensure that they do have the original version that was seeded here. There are so many instances of people burning stuff with errors or tinkering with the thing that it's nice for traders to be able to say "this matches the checksum for the TTD seed" and provide a link.

I do not expect everyone to keep these checksums on the disc itself. If you are inclined to keep them, it's best to do so inside of a text file that you store with your tradelist or something instead of putting them onto the disc because, as I said, some players are more picky than others.

I personally check them and then make a note in my tradelist that the checksum matches the one for the TTD seed, then provide a link to the original thread. It at least gives some weight to the seed that the thread contains comments that can indicate whether it's a good show, bad show, etc.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes