View Single Post
Old 2007-03-20, 10:38 AM
TTD Staff

Re: gspot question/problem

I was thinking about this last night.... I'm a Mac user, not a PC user, but we have discussed video stats in Staff before. One thing I seem to recall from our discussion is that GSpot (who thought of that name anyway?) calculated the maximum bitrate for the VOB, not the average variable bitrate. It sounds to me like the newer versions (2.6 and up) are now calculating the average VBR. Normally, the two numbers would not be significantly different. A DVD author would set what he wants the average to be and then give it a range... like 7000 kbps +/- 1000 kbps. So, if you used a version of GSpot prior to v2.6, you would get 8000 kbps, whereas the newer version would give you 7000 kbps. But, it sounds like on some of these DVDs you are looking at, the author did not bother with giving it a range, and so the max is clear up there, whereas the average VBR is very low.

I'm just guessing here, but it makes sense to me. Meanwhile, I'm flagging this post for our VBT Mods in the hopes that they know what is going on.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes