View Single Post
Old 2007-03-15, 06:18 PM
pretty when I'm drunk

Location: between my owners legs, and someone else's too, USA
Re: Rack System vs. cpu software

and that's part of the fun/game too, is deciding whether a tape actually needs equalization or not.

I'd say that 20% of my shows are run raw, no EQ, of that remaining 80%, I'd say the batting average is around .600 to .700, or, 6-7 out of every 10 EQ'd transfers I do I'm TOTALLY happy with...they sound better, brighter, not distorted, not muddy, etc...the ones that I'm not totally happy with are usually ones with a few generations on them, OR I couldn't get the EQ right in the sense that it sounded GREAT going in, but afterwards that initial signal just didn't transfer the right way.

a classic example of failure would be the 7/7/98 Pearl Jam show from Albuquerque...I recorded that fucker in FOUR different times (with 4 extremely different settings) before a satisfactory transfer was a reality...it kept coming out WAY too bassy, and I kept pulling down the wrong combination of two sliders (the correct ones were 63 and 160 way (-10db)down, with the ones between them slightly above 0)...sounded good recording in, but always came out too bassy until that final transfer...now it sounds "even" all the way across, or the low-end doesn't override the mids and highs.

my biggest fear sharing here is that I don't use any of the EAC/TLH/Nero stuff, and all my stuff was converted to .wav then burned to cd with minimal computer hari-kari, but the tape WAS pumped through an external rack system before recording into the HD.

I'd LOVE to throw someone my acoustic Steve Earle show from August of '05 here in Fairbanks as a "test case", so you folks can hear for yourself.

I'll come up with a "lineage train", so you guys can REALLY flame me.

'cuz it's cold up here in Alaska, we NEED the heat this time of year.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes