View Single Post
Old 2005-08-10, 02:42 AM
TTD VIP

Re: Standards for Naming Torrent Folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygee
Well my thanks were not entirely misplaced. Despite the obvious flaws in the lineage (what color socks were you wearing?), your personal verification is now appended to my infofile. You ARE the REAL freezer, right?
Orange sox, standard for the times. I had 5 pair.

Yes I am the real Mr. Freezer, got Maytag frost-free stamped on my ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygee
half of the stuff out there is probably junk, but my ears don't lie to me, and there are plenty of other ears out there. At least all the music is coming out, even if it is in these many different "versions".

Eventually we will sort this mess out and get down to best sources. Etree has that pretty much down pat, and the Zappa and Dylan communities are getting it together. Same with Phish, Pearl Jam, and probably other bands I may not follow much. That is why I am so obsessed with this "versioning" thing, it is the only way to sort out the mess, and it will take years, but it will get done if we provide reliable people with the right tools to do it, like online show information, with versioning and st5/ffp's, etc.

Your ears don't lie to you that half the stuff out there is junk?

Now that is a new one on me.... Lineage>junk.

I don't see a lot of folks downloading a show with that lineage, do you?

The Zappa community is plauged by a giant troll who has been infecting it for years with faulty lineage and mp3s for years. (Anybody wanna make a guess here who I'm referring to?) And the mess he created will be rolling downhill for years to come. And there are collectors who like the mp3 files he torrented. And who will argue with you and flame you over it.

The Dylan community bickers amongst itself over easily verified lineage by thriving on bootlegs and sites which tout bootlegs over easy to find low gen tapes. (5/3/76 late show for instance, its only been in the last six months that most of the Dylanites even heard that there were 2 shows on the evening and that the 5/3/76 early show exists as an audience recording.)

You are going to have a god-awful time trying to sort this stuff out, simply because of "good traders" or "good seeders" who delight in clouding the waters around certain bands and certain recordings.

Without naming the names, there are specific sites whose clientele traffic in bogus lineage and pedigree as coin of the realm. Bet you 10 cents you can name a few.........at least one in particular.......won't take too much presence of mind to do so......

I agree, its always been rooted in the fan vs. archivist arguement, as AAR.oner suggests.

However, like I said, I'm much more interested in getting UNCIRCULATED shows out than I am in flogging a dead horse by dragging out a 30+ year old master and circulating another version.

When I resurfaced a few years ago, it was because I'd noticed a small group of Led Zeppelin collectors bragging on a certain Yahoo trade group site about just how easy it was to find "master clones" and they were using the 2/28/75 Baton Rouge Led Zeppelin show as their example. Well, I had made that particular master, it had been in storage for 15 years, so I was 100% positive there was no way it had ever been digitally converted from the master tapes. When I remarked on this, one of those so-called "good traders" replied that all I had to do was give him the info on what mics and recorder I'd used so he could make his lineage look better. He was more interested in making his list look better than he was in circulating a true low gen tape. He already had a copy of the tape, now he could just claim he had something he didn't because he would have better lineage.

That's the tip of the iceberg you are attempting to climb. But I wish you all the best in your quest, Admiral Byrd.........

Go back a few postings on this thread and see what kind of veiled remarks were made about getting upgrades, so bootleggers would find it harder to sell their wares.

That fellow wasn't even interested in discussing how to define torrent files or keep proper lineage. He was interested in upgrading his collection. He wasn't interested in getting UNCIRCULATED shows into the trade pool, he didn't even ask what shows I was trying to offer. His whole message was about getting better copies of what is already out there. (I did find someone else to take me up on getting some Brass Band shows from 8/6/05 into circulation.)

Do I have a solution to the problem of keeping better lineage with the files? No, but I can do what I've done since I resurfaced. Continue to supply UNCIRCULATED shows only. And leave the stuff that's been bootlegged remain in unverifiable generational form. Yes 12/1/74, PF 4/28/77, LZ 2/28/75, Rolling Stones 6/1/75, Kiss 7/16/74.........they're out there. They're not hoarded. They're just not available as low gen recordings. But the shows are available.

Evens the playing field somewhat. Nobody has a low gen of these.

Let's move on to some new shows. With proper lineage. That's my preference.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes