Thread: Wavpack
View Single Post
Old 2005-04-22, 02:51 PM

Re: Wavpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhclem
I have been working on a reponse to the issues raised by wazoo. I wanted my response to be methodical and well thought out.
See your points. I agree that development could be encouraged by competition. I also agree that promise of adoption of FLAC as a portable device lossless format has been very, very slow to fruition.

I'm extremely excited by the concept of a portable that basically is a small computer running an OS. That would give all of us much greater flexibility when pulling stuff out of our archives.

Don't misunderstand me about converting formats. I'm more concerned about the technical pitfalls of OTHER people converting their shows, than I am about my archives. I've got way too much material to even consider re-encoding stuff, and am mostly interested in being able to retrieve, transfer and play music, regardless of the format. I believe that the community needs to support development efforts, wherever they may be. If there's a lot of action around the development of Wavpack, then it should be encouraged by adopting it's use, BUT..... .... I certainly feel that all the tools should be in place for EASY ADOPTION by the community, including error checking/correction (SHN tool) and plugins for popular players.

Thanks for making the issues a bit more clear. I'll look forward to hearing more from others.

BTW, what is the approximate compression advantage that Wavpack holds over FLAC ?.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes