View Single Post
Old 2006-06-16, 06:16 AM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP

Re: Does poor ratio equate bad trader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skodechoker
No its not a type of trading. Its still sharing. What does the original seeder get in exchange? A trade is something for something. The word trade is not applicable to this site unless two individuals have an agreement that Party A will seed this, if Party B seeds that. A torrent is not a trade, its sharing. Completely different things.

The rules of this site state:

Operative words being try, or if its not possible than do your part by sharing by offering B&Ps and/or vines.

What I've done so far is offer B&Ps of what I download and gladly take requests from people who want something off my list that Ive gotten in straight trades (less than 20% of what I have on my list Ive downloaded) and with the vines Ive started have it's been things I would like to seed but can't so Im adding to the pool that way. If anything I would say Ive been ADDING to the site. My first posts were offers of freebies!

You're looking at one side of the coin completely in your argument. Not all bad ratios can be avoided for a variety of reasons, you dont know the particulars in any case of anyone who is below your "median" of 0.99 or whatever it is. You assume everything with your "scientific method". There are many cases of people with issues you havent taken into account. I hate to quote him but "Look at the big picture".

Also it works negatively with people with good ratios as well. Whos to say someone with a spectacular ratio doesnt do B&Ps, freebies or vines? They're in no way obligated to because of the seed, but someone else needs to step to the plate.

The seeder makes the decision to share the show, with nothing in return.
Ok, look at it this way...
The original seeder does in fact share as you have observed. Every other person in the torrent must "trade" in order for the torrent to complete. If the downloaders, as I like to call them, will then upload 0.99 ratio in order for the rest of the people in the torrent to obtain the show. If they are not ul back to the community, then they are truly leeches--sucking the life out of the torrent. While it is not obligatory to help out your peers on the torrent, it is necessary for you to do your part by ul. Skodechoker, everyone in this world has a capped ul. You are not the only one. Good bittorrent traders stop dl every once and a while, and just let it ul. I used to ul phish DVDs while on a dial-up modem connection briefly when I first got started on sites like STG and EZT. Then I saw the need for a broadband. With broadband, dl is very fast, but ul is still not very fast. So, you are not the only one with poor ul. You just choose to use that as an excuse for your bad bittorrent etiquette.
In closing, please don't download any torrents I start because I like to "share" my music with people who will "trade" it back to the community. With my capped ul, I don't have enough bandwidth to "feed" a "leech" that sucks all of the life out of the torrents.

Sidenote:
Also, I have done, and continue to do, many b&p's/freebies for people. I just got done doing a 20+disc b&p to someone in New Zealand. My b&ping has slowed down somewhat from 2 years ago when my motto was "I can always b&p for anyone anytime" posted on my etree site...now it says "I can b&p as time allows"...I've still never turned anyone down for a b&p that has asked. If I don't have time I just reply, "please contact me in one month to see if I'm available for a b&p then"...and I make good on my word.

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes