View Single Post
Old 2005-07-16, 12:39 AM

Re: Standards for physically trading and b&p'ing DVDs?

I noticed the same thing recently when I sent two DVDs to a guy in Holland... he doesn't have a DVD burner so it was very, very important that I burn a playable DVD for him so he could play it on his standalone. One was taken from a video DVD, when I burned that one I generated .md5 checksums from it and they matched exactly. The other was downloaded from STG and when I burned it the BUP and IFO were different but the VOBs were identical. I emailed the guy the artwork, .txt files and .md5s. The disc with the wrong checksums would be considered bastardized in some way, but are they really?

this was posted over here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffooky
Given that the big beasts (Nero & Toast) both sometimes make these changes, might it not be sensible for people to make a separate md5 of the VOBs as well as one of the entire contents of the VIDEO_TS folder ? Any differences in BUPs and IFOs are likely to be imperceptible but would prevent verification/comparison in much the same way as changing tags does with an audio files/wholefile md5 set.

Edit: forget it...talking bollocks as usual :-)
Now is this a good or a bad idea? At first read it seemed to me like a great idea. As I was mentioning earlier in this thread, it would be good to know if toast and nero make the same changes when they "fix" the BUP and IFO files, if after the first time it is burned to video dvd the checksums stay the same on mac or pc then this would almost be like fixing SBEs, right? What are the advantages and/or drawbacks to allowing BUP and IFO files to be altered, so long as the VOB checksums remain the same?

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes