View Single Post
Old 2008-06-27, 10:46 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff

Re: Can I make a case for AIFF files in the Audio Torrent Forum?

AIFF = uncompressed digital audio like WAV. If there are some new flavors, it is still not ubiquitous, like FLAC.

Also, most people can't do anything with it. You could upload it, but hardly anyone would get anything out of it. Especially at 24bit, it's going to be rather useless since everyone's devices (CD players, iPods, etc) play 16bit audio.

Yes, there are exceptions, no they aren't common. The goal here is for as many people as possible to be able to enjoy the things that are offered here and FLAC>WAV>BURN or FLAC>WAV>MP3 is what nearly everyone can do, with either MACs or with PCs.

I don't really have an objection to AIFF files being shared here, personally, but I think the torrent would need to state exactly what they are and what has to be done to burn to a CD to play in a common player - as that is our standard end-game goal, here. I think you'll find that most people won't go through the trouble to convert it to something they can use.