View Single Post
Old 2007-05-12, 04:14 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer

Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustthex
i think it should be a moratorium going forward... give everyone who still tapes in md (myself included) time to upgrade their decks; i know that there are at least a few others on this board who tape in md. maybe this would even need its own topic. i know there are plenty of cheap solutions, but i spent enough on my md, i want to do the same on the digital i am going to buy...

perhaps july '07, or 01/01/08?

also, what is etree's current policy (just curious)?
So, are you proposing all MD recordings get banned no matter what? I think that's nuts. At least as far as the MD masters I've made for the past 6 or 7 years now.
So, would this mean that MD master posts already put up would get banned?
If you start to do that, I'm just going to fold.
As Cartman says: "Screw you guys, I'm gong home..."
In all seriousness, I really do have lots of MD stuff and Cassette stuff still to go through and ReMaster. It'd be a real shame if the policy got changed to : not even an older MD master is good enough for you.
I do agree that MD is not the best, but come on. Every digital representation of any recording is lossy compared to any analog signal. Imagine smooth round sine waves being represented by square staircase-like steps. Higher resolutions just make smaller steps, but that round curved sinewave is still translated to 90 degree angles, just smaller steps that fool us a bit better.
I would love to upgrade when I can afford to, but I don't have that income level that lets me do that right soon. Wanna loan me the dough to buy one? I'll pay back eventually! Then again, I'm not planning on taping anything in the next while, anyway. As far as older MD recordings go, they are what they are, and if they as masters aren't good enough (at least in the historical documentation sense) like they are now, I suggest that you should perform some aerial fornication with fried pastry products (Go take a flying f^ck through a doughnut hole!)

Please take this as a homourous attempt to say something serious.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken (not that it matters that much) but ATRAC records at 24 bit. MD can be directly transferred digitally from ATRAC to WAV without going through a soundcard (if you have the right deck, which I don't, but...)

Last edited by Audioarchivist; 2007-05-12 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar, punctuation
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes