View Single Post
Old 2010-01-09, 05:32 PM

Re: VHS to DVD software recommendation please

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcb0172 View Post
Thanks for the link. I don't have the $ for that type of equipment and don't want to pay for a service. Sounds like the software route isn't great.

The other option I have is a DVD burner I can hook to my VHS and run. It's a Sony DVD burner, it is a Sony RDR-GX7.

Would this be suitable to recording and taking it to post online?
It would be more than suitable but there are a couple of potential problems you need to be aware of.

1. Some of these stand alone recorders have a/v sync issues.

2. The DVD that comes out will be in an oddball format that will play on most DVD players but not all.

3. dropped frames from time base problems and wavy lines at the tip and bottom margins......a tbc will correct that which some of the units on the link provided above have built in...you can get a stand alone but you can spend as much on one of those as you would a good capture device

4. you will not be able to author good menus and no one else will be able to either because the format your recorder will create on the dvd will require transcoding which i think is not allowed here for quality control reasons

so anyway, i know the entire woodstock 94 event is out there already authored and ready to roll.....i would just find it and download it..i think the sources out there are better than vhs

what are the other things? just do a search and make sure you are not spinning your wheels.....see if someone else has already done the work
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes