View Single Post
Old 2005-08-10, 05:07 AM
Non Serviam

Re: Standards for Naming Torrent Folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer
Your ears don't lie to you that half the stuff out there is junk?

Now that is a new one on me.... Lineage>junk.

I don't see a lot of folks downloading a show with that lineage, do you?
For shows released without proper (or dubious) lineage, we need to resort to other means. The basic plan is simple: line up two versions and listen side-by-side. Maybe do a spectrographic analysis if they are close, to look for frequency content. Then decide "Source A is better than Source B". Others will do the same, a consensus will form. People with "tin ears" will out themselves. Rinse, lather, repeat. Though this dialectic approach we can find the best available sources. Like Dankseeds, I hope we can find people with golden ears.

Quote:
The Zappa community is plauged by a giant troll who has been infecting it for years with faulty lineage and mp3s for years. (Anybody wanna make a guess here who I'm referring to?) And the mess he created will be rolling downhill for years to come. And there are collectors who like the mp3 files he torrented. And who will argue with you and flame you over it.
It is Mastertroll now, if you please. I think zappateers already has some of this sorted out.

Quote:
The Dylan community bickers amongst itself over easily verified lineage by thriving on bootlegs and sites which tout bootlegs over easy to find low gen tapes. (5/3/76 late show for instance, its only been in the last six months that most of the Dylanites even heard that there were 2 shows on the evening and that the 5/3/76 early show exists as an audience recording.)
Like I have said somewhere else in technobabble, I do not understand this reverence for "Silver CDs", unless it is compared to a CDx rip of a "Silver CD"

Quote:
[...]
That's the tip of the iceberg you are attempting to climb. But I wish you all the best in your quest, Admiral Byrd.........

Go back a few postings on this thread and see what kind of veiled remarks were made about getting upgrades, so bootleggers would find it harder to sell their wares.

That fellow wasn't even interested in discussing how to define torrent files or keep proper lineage. He was interested in upgrading his collection. He wasn't interested in getting UNCIRCULATED shows into the trade pool, he didn't even ask what shows I was trying to offer. His whole message was about getting better copies of what is already out there. (I did find someone else to take me up on getting some Brass Band shows from 8/6/05 into circulation.)
All I can do, if anything, is help provide suggestions, and maybe help build some software tools, to enable like-minded people to work towards the task of organizing and sorting through music with the goal of finding the best sources. Sure, most people won't be interested, but we just need some critical mass.

Quote:
Do I have a solution to the problem of keeping better lineage with the files? No, but I can do what I've done since I resurfaced. Continue to supply UNCIRCULATED shows only. And leave the stuff that's been bootlegged remain in unverifiable generational form. Yes 12/1/74, PF 4/28/77, LZ 2/28/75, Rolling Stones 6/1/75, Kiss 7/16/74.........they're out there. They're not hoarded. They're just not available as low gen recordings. But the shows are available.

Evens the playing field somewhat. Nobody has a low gen of these.

Let's move on to some new shows. With proper lineage. That's my preference.
I can only thank you greatly for your efforts past and present.

Last edited by guygee; 2005-08-10 at 05:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes