Old 2010-03-21, 12:33 PM

Re: VHS Transfers & Quality [moved from the Van Halen Largo thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxedart View Post
1. Master Reels
2. Dubed to VHS
3. Dubed to 8mm
4. Dubbed to DVD via a stand alone DVD burner
This workflow is somewhat confusing. I can understand reels being converted to a broadcast master of some sort (D1, Betacam, S-VHS), or even a "sneaked out master" onto VHS by a fan that works there. That makes sense.

But the 8mm step?

That specific standalone DVD recorder is well known for its ability to clean up grain and chroma noise (fix "color noise"), so that's a good choice for both home/hobby and small business use.

Quote:
So if Lordsmurf said to you that post production takes a lot more work than what you are doing you would tell them the same thing?
It ranges from hours to days to weeks to months to years -- it really depends on the goals of the project and the source available.

Quote:
And there are many people whos sole job it is to seek out that material for projects.
It's gotten sloppy and half-assed in the past decade. With the recession, it's gotten even worse.

Quote:
the internet has all but destroyed the indy film markets and it has put a dent into the larger studio markets as well
While true, I don't think this really relates to the ongoing conversation. That's another topic entirely.

Quote:
there are people doing it worldwide - it is not at all "quite rare" in this day and age.
For something done in the past 5-10 years, sure, I'll agree footage is more easily available. But much of that is commercially released immediately afterward, too! And cheap cameras have caused a lot more amateur (and pro, too!) recordings in recent years.

But I don't care about recent years. I want the stuff I grew up with. Give me 80s and 90s. That older stuff is harder to get, and harder to work with.

Quote:
"just a hobby" is not at all a cop out. --- If want the "best" than be prepared to spend lots of money - but for most people they do not need the "best" for their hobby
I would counter that "best" is another cop-out, a backup excuse for "just a hobby".

Making better-than-crap quality from average sources does not require "lots of money", it just takes some effort -- effort to learn what is good and what is not, and time to learn proper settings in the hardware/software (as opposed to "auto" or default settings).

Buying a VCR from Walmart/Best Buy (or using the POS you bought in 1995), and hooking it up directly into the cheapest DVD recorder available from Walmart/Best Buy is sloppy and makes crap. To top it off, you'll get people that make 6-hour mode dubs, complete with tracking errors and audio buzz/hiss, using cheap Memorex blanks. This is then re-encoded even sloppier, and then barfed online into a torrent or onto Youtube.

An hour of reading would have avoided that whole mess.

There should also be a degree of patience. Do one video, and then learn how to do better next time. Sadly, most people try to churn out everything rapid-fire (again, often for some kind of monetary gain or bragging rights), and their 100th video is just as awful as the 1st. That was unnecessary, too!

There needs to be middle ground between lazy crap, and that "best" pro work. And yes, that does require adopting some pro methods and equipment. Even something as simple as a $200-300 JVC/Panasonic VCR will cause massive quality increases. Still not pro, no -- but a heck of a lot better in the quality department.