View Single Post
Old 2017-08-01, 04:51 PM
TTD Staff

Re: FLAC fingerprint md5 mismatch - looking for some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDaddy View Post
Hi all

So.....I have received three separate file sets in the past couple of days (at another bt site), all of the same artist, all from the same seeder. Each set has an md5 and an ffp; in each case the md5 verifies fine but in each case the ffp gives this message for every track: "failed verification (checksum in file header matches, but checksum of audio data does not match)."
The weird thing is that even when I use TLH to create a new ffp, that ffp yields the same message. I hope I've explained the problem adequately; does anyone have any insight into this phenomenon? The files will decode fine but there is apparently no way to create an ffp that will verify properly.

TIA for any help or insight.
1. After encoding a .wav file the FLAC encoder stores the checksum of the raw WAVE data (the so-called flac fingerprint or ffp) in the header of the .flac file.

2. When TLH "creates" a ffp it just reads the checksum stored in the header of the .flac file.

3. When TLH verifies a flac fingerprint it re-calculates the checksum of the audio data and compares this fingerprint with the one stored in the .flac file's header. If the checksums do not match you'll get the error message "failed verification (checksum in file header matches, but checksum of audio data does not match)". So the checksum in the file's header is incorrect.

I think the creator of the .flac files has used a bad encoding program because all the files fail to verify. Note that the md5 checksums match because they were created after creating the (invalid) .flac files.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes