View Single Post
Old 2004-12-10, 08:16 AM
Renegade Geek

Re: Audiophilia - The shntool frontend, v0.0.1 released, alpha testers needed

Thanks for your comments, let me reply to some of them.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy
A couple initial thoughts:I'd suggest getting the len part out first, if that's easier - checking to see if there are SBEs is the big issue and lots more people will check if it's easy. If they know they're there, they are more likely to do something about it.
Noted....the check part is pretty easy, and I'll add that next. I can add the preview function in...pretty much anything shntool can do I can add as option buttons in the interface.

Quote:
BTW, if you haven't seen this etree thread on batch files for shntool and shorten, have a look. Some of the discussion there may be useful to give you ideas on what features are useful:
http://forums.etree.org/viewtopic.php?p=11134
Yeah, I've been using different batch files for years. It's just a matter of designing the interface to allow people to select certain options, and then customizing the text of those batch files. Again, the first few were the hardest, it should get easier and easier from here on out.

Quote:
Nice installer, by the way - great that is has customization of the files installed and the location, always much appreciated. If it's not too hard, you might want to let people know that the uninstaller doesn't uninstall the codecs from the Windows directory. I can see why you did that, but it might be worth mentioning.
Yeah, I should. I'm not going to remove those files as it'll screw up people other programs if I do. But, in the interest of full disclosure, I'll try to work a note in somewhere saying that uninstalling does not delete the codecs.

Quote:
FWIW, Monkey's already has a pretty nice Windows GUI, I'm not sure there's so much need for that. It's shntool and shorten that are the GUI orphans, really. QuickPar has a nice whole file md5 checker.....And the "old school" approach sucks big time in real life, as you can see from all the shows with SBEs and/or no seek tables.
Agreed, again. I use QuickPar because it checks so many different kinds of file verification. But....my initial goal here was just to get an shntool installer and shntool md5 creation out to the public, as it's my opinion that these are the things most lacking. But I'm also ultimately hoping to make this an even more comprehensive tool that can allow people to get rid having multiple programs like Monkey's Audio, FLAC Frontend, MKW, and others just to use their files. shntool does so many things, and if it can replace multiple programs, then I'm happy to do that.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes