View Single Post
Old 2005-07-16, 07:43 AM
You are TOO

Re: Extremely slow shut-down times

I meant to tell you to try an online virus scan in my last post. You might want to try that. Also, next time you shut down, try to catch the very last part of that message. The name of the file at the end would be very helpful.

Goto your Start Menu and click on Run and type in "msconfig" without the quotes. Then click on the Startup tab. If you have a screen capturing program, capture that window, scrolling if you have to. If not, you can hit the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard and then open MS PAint or any other graphics program and "paste" the contents of the clipboard. Save that image as .jpg (smaller file size) and post it here. Again, you may have to scroll and take several caps.

A screenshot of the running processes would be nice too. Make sure you maximize the window so you can get all the processes in one shot.

jcrab66 - any recommendations as to a better anti-virus program or are you not confident enough to back up your statements? I'll give you their service is bad, but their AV isn't. There are worse ones out there and without a "good" recommendation, someone reading your advice might buy one of those bad ones

I doubt Norton is the problem, so don't go buying a different brand just yet. It most likely won't solve your problem. Following that logic, one could buy a new computer to solve ANY problem that arises.

EDIT: To try to speed things up, I Googled that trd ww thing and saw a couple mentions of Total Recorder. If you have that, you might try uninstalling it and then reboot your computer. Shut it down once more to see if it helped. If so, you know the likely culprit. If not, then post those screenshots and we'll continue.

If you use AIM, ICQ, or MSN instant messengers, we can work on this faster. It's up to you.

Last edited by Ted; 2005-07-16 at 07:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes