View Single Post
Old 2006-01-30, 02:51 PM

DVD-Audio and SACD

I'm starting to see more shows posted with 24-bit FLAC files, so I'm developing an interest in setting up a nice rig for myself to take advantage of this stuff. There seem to be a lot of big audiophiles on this board, so I figured someone might know something about these new formats. I've tried to read up on them, but a lot of the articles I've found have gotten really technical, and my tech understanding is only decent.

The first thing - how big is the difference in sound? My ears aren't the best - I can tell some difference between mp3s and lossless files, but my ears don't recoil at mp3s of a decent bitrate (192 or so and up). If I have a decent surround sound system (which I understand is basically prerequisite), will the difference be noticeable?

I'm also a wee bit confused about players. Does DVD-A play at top output on all DVD players, or only ones compatible with DVD-A? My best understanding is that they play in standard DVD players, but not at top quality - correct?Where do 24-bit FLAC files fit in with that? And what about Dual Discs?

Also, as I'm considering equipment, is it worth finding something that plays SACDs as well?

Last one, I swear, and it's a pretty subjective question - to those who have upgraded, has the amount of DVD-A/SACDs released by the labels, plus the higher bit rate boots, been worth the cost?

Many thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes