View Single Post
Old 2005-09-12, 04:34 AM

Re: If wav. is lossless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster
Well, and just to be thorough:

Folks so far have answered this from the perspective of torrenting - i.e. flac is smaller than wav and both are identical - but there's very good, non-torrent-related reasons for converting masters or known generations to flac or shn and propagating them that way, vs. keeping them in wav.

I.e. in wav, DAE - digital audio extraction - and burning audio back to CD - is needed every time you want to copy the disc.

It's preferable to minimize the need for DAE and burning of audio because this allows true "lossiness" or artifacts to creep into the picture since it's difficult to extract an identical copy unless using the best software and a compliant CD drive; and many burners introduce artifacts or outright gaps in the re-burning process.

But when the show is encoded as data in shn or flac, this data can simply be copied endlessly with no fear of loss of audio information.

Additionally, shn or flac shows typically have attached text files which would include information about the taper, setlist, lineage of the show, generation, and anything else appropriate.

This allows me to receive a show from you in perfect confidence that I now have exactly the show you have and the information we both know about the show is true for both of us.

Very nice post but you can do the same with wav files as long as you burn them as data, so your answer is not really on topic.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes