View Single Post
Old 2006-09-06, 01:46 PM

Re: Flac files- To save or delete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdbuzz
Is there any reason to save flac files once it is transferred to a .wav? I just noticed how much disk space they suck up. I can't think of any reason to save them since I could take the wavs and run them thru multi frontend again to create new flacs.
I'm not sure the reason why you need these files long-term on your HD as WAV files... if you need WAV files to use with some program (eg EAC audio cdr burning for personal use) then it would save more disc space to delete the WAV files and keep the FLAC files you started with. FLAC files can be self-tested for their integrity, are aprox half the size of WAV files and are playable on a computer using foobar2000 or WinAmp. So by deleting the WAV files when you're done with them and keeping the original FLAC files you are saving aprox 25% more disc space.

in the case that you wanted to delete the FLAC files and keep the large WAV files, you could re-convert to FLAC and lose any information in the tags (some FLACs have this, it makes the name of the artist etc show up in your player on your computer), and also would not be able to re-connect to the original torrent unless you used the exact version of flac.exe and correct compression settings and exact tags (or lack thereof). However, if the st5/ffp verifies against a newly-created FLAC set from those WAVs then no generation is lost and the audio is verified exact & is tradeable together with the small txt + st5 and/or ffp files from the original torrent.

reply to lehnhard coming up...

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes