View Single Post
Old 2010-03-21, 07:55 PM

Re: VHS Transfers & Quality [moved from the Van Halen Largo thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabkisscrue View Post
Instead of copying it to vhs, it was copied to 8mm which I think is better than dubbing to vhs.
Ive seen 8mm masters dubbed to vhs as well as 8mm and the 8mms had more detail to them. So it makes total sense to me it was dubbed to 8mm. Also 8mm/hi8 is way easier to track, you dont get all the issues you get with vhs.
VHS or 8mm makes more sense.

Honestly, 8mm, VHS and Betamax are all about the same for quality. You need Super Beta, Betacam, S-VHS or Hi8 to jump up in quality.

8mm/Hi8 doesn't really "track" -- that's both a benefit and a problem. The benefit is when the tape plays perfectly because it was recorded in a perfect deck. However, as with all other analog video recorders, gravity shifts things over time. When 8mm/Hi8 is misaligned, all hell breaks loose -- the tapes become paperweights, unless you can pull out a scope and manually misalign another player to match the badly-made tapes (and good luck with that!) Here's a more technical explanation on 8mm tracking.