View Single Post
Old 2007-08-10, 06:26 PM

Re: Is decompressed AC3 lossy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg
yes. Take the LPCM audio file you suspect is dual-mono (exact same left and right channels) and open in Cool Edit Pro 2.0 (or Adobe Audition - whichever you have).

Highlight the whole thing and open the "channel mixer". Invert ONE of the channels and play. If the audio is exactly the same left-right, it will be completly silent since you are subtracting the inverse from one side to the other. Get audio, and you do not have a true dual-mono source.

Now, if that is the case and you have isloated a mono source, the only remaining question is whether you can include an LPCM mono track on a DVD and still be compliant with the standard. I know with a CD, that would NOT be compliant - you have to double to 2 channels - back where you started.

Maybe a video mod can chime in about whether a DVD can contain a 1 channel mono LPCM stream - or you can visit www.videohelp.com and look up the DVD-Video standards. I'll try to have a look later if I have a chance.
I don't have either of the programs you suggested, and I don't have the lossless LPCM now so I will worry about it when I get it..IF, I get it?

As for the mono audio being compliant on a DVD, it is. I made one. I overwrote the AC3 audio in Tsunami DVD author Pro with the decompressed AC3. In fact, when I run the DVD files through GSpot it doesn't recognize the LPCM audio, it reads it as AC3.
And I know it is NOT AC3, I burned a copy of the original DVD with the AC3 audio, and played them both, the difference is impossible to miss.

Thanks again for your help.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes