View Single Post
Old 2007-05-30, 07:26 PM
What'cha Got There?

Re: Hosting collection lists online?

For hosting you could always check with your provider. Comcast for example lets you set up a webpage.
<sigh>
And I'll toot my usual horn.....I use a program called "WhereIsIt" that works great as a collection tool. Once set up all I have to do is put a disc full of lossless shows (all in their own shows and such) and it imports the info file and imports thumbnails of the artwork. If it's DVD video, all I do is copy/past the info file in and direct the program to wherever the art is and it imports as a thumbnail. It exports to MS formats such as Excel/Access/and just as important HTML. Take a look at one of my pages here:
http://home.comcast.net/~musicavista/DVD.html
This listing took me about 5 minutes to do. 2-3 minutes for the export to HTML, a minute to open in Frontpage (I like to change the borders to white) and then upload to Comcast.
If you don't want to pay...the program will let you do smaller databases (forget the size, although I think it's a gig limit). I set up a separate database depending on lossless/CD (silver)/CD (non)/LP/Tape/etc. If I want to combine all into one master listing I can do that too.

Anyways...everyone has their own favorite. But....at least I did stick somewhat to the topic by mentioning looking into your own ISP and HTML. If if costs too much for registering a site, maybe you can get a trading buddy to share the costs.

One last note. If you go to www.nonags.com and search their site for catalog there are some free programs out there that will set up your collection and I think do the Excel/HTML export as well. I haven't checked any of them out for a long time though.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Personally I like to keep my listing in my own hands and don't trust an on-line site for going down.